Real World Picture Words Curriculum
A step-by-step way to help students with limited or no reading skills learn 200 words
Designed to complement
Real-World Picture Words Activity Cards.
Each 102-page curriculum includes
reproducible student pages, teacher suggestions, and assessment
tools. Each of the 200 picture words are illustrated, defined, and
used in simple sentences. The words are taught in groups of five to
increase both comprehension and retention.
HOW THE CURRICULUM WORKS Words are taught using a two-page
teaching guide. One sheet has a reproducible activity page for the
students to use for reference. The other sheet is a lesson plan for
teaching those five words. The lesson plan includes a systematic way
to help students learn what each of the five words means. After
reviewing the word, its definition, and the word used in a sentence,
the teacher presents activities detailed in the curriculum. Students
answer questions about the words, participate in hands-on
activities, and listen to stories in which the words are used in
context. The engaging format promotes active learning. Open-ended
questions encourage discussion.
• SCHOOL & BASIC CONCEPTS 100 words focus on people, places, and
objects in a school. 100 words focus on basic concepts.
• BODY, CLOTHING, GROOMING & HEALTH 55 words cover parts of the body,
85 words cover clothing, and 60 words cover grooming and health
• GROCERY STORE FOODS 200 words include foods commonly found in a
• COMMUNITY 200 words cover community helpers, places, and objects
found in communities.
• HOUSEHOLD 200 words focus on items commonly found in a home.
• KITCHEN & BATHROOM 140 words cover items in a kitchen, and 60 words
cover bathroom items.
• ASSESSMENT A progress chart is included for monitoring student
The complete kit includes all of the components of the
Real-World Picture Words product family. For each of the following
titles a software program, a 102-page curriculum with reproducible
activity sheets, and set of 200 activity cards are included: School
& Basic Concepts; Body, Clothing, Grooming & Health; Grocery Store
Foods; Community Words; Household Words; and Kitchen & Bathroom